Post by Rigil Kent on Sept 28, 2014 11:45:35 GMT -6
Couple of thoughts:
Crew is way too few for a Miranda-class. Should be around 200. Say, 20 officers and 175 to 180 enlisted.
Warp 9 is hard to reach in TOS era. The Constitution class (NCC-1701) struggled to do that. FREX, on Memory Alpha (which covers canon Trek), the entry on the Connie states: Warp 6 (maximum safe speed), Warp 8 (maximum speed), Warp 9 (attainable at extreme risk). We should probably match that. Looking at the Memory Alpha entry for the Miranda (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Miranda_class), I do see Performance: Warp 9.2 for 12 hours but that's from the DS9 Technical Manual, so that's from the 24th Century.
What's the actual crew complement? Department split?
Notice: If you find yourself feeling offended by something I've written, it is extremely unlikely that I actually intended any such offense—please allow me the benefit of doubt before you respond. If you still feel the need respond to a perceived insult, please let me know, in specific, how I could have rewritten my post in an unoffensive manner.
According to the DS9 tech manual, "Accommodation: 220 officers and crew" which is midway between a modern Seawolf-class (14 officers; 126 enlisted) and an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer (23 officers, 300 enlisted). Don't think they've ever officially listed a division split...
Post by Rigil Kent on Nov 22, 2014 15:08:17 GMT -6
Meant to publish something like this a while back. Since GM hasn't said otherwise, my headcanon is that, prior to Prescott's assignment to her, the Verdant was considered a "problem ship" with a crappy CO, XO, ChEng, and CMO, all of whom were relieved of duty (along with a bunch of senior NCOs who sucked also.) So one of the reasons we've been given such a wide latitude is that ADM (Stiles, perhaps?) wants us to whip this crew back into shape.
So, Prescott issued this (sometime between episodes 3 and 4.)
U.S.S. Verdant NCC-9847: Ship's Standing Order #2266-12
1. All previous Ship's Standing Orders (SSOs) are revoked. "All" means all. I have reviewed the ship's 1,232 standing orders put into place by previous commanders and consider them unnecessary, contradictory and patently absurd.
2. The Model Standing Orders for Starfleet Combat-Rated Ships, SFAdmPub 13-1885 are hereby adopted in toto as the SSOs on this vessel with the below exceptions, as modified and supplemented by this Standing Order and such other and further Standing Orders as may be from time to time issued. Note: there are 27 Orders in the Model SSOs.
3. Alpha-bridge is considered off-limits except with explicit permission from commanding officer. All command operations are henceforth to be undertaken in Auxiliary Bridge (hereafter referred to as CIC). Chief Engineer is instructed to ensure ship functions in Alpha-bridge are fully deactivated and cannot be restored. Any steps necessary to bring CIC to full functionality are to be taken immediately.
4. Access to CIC is henceforth restricted to appropriate Starfleet personnel. To ensure this takes place, Security detachment commander is instructed to post armed detail outside CIC with instructions to restrict non-authorized personnel from entrance.
5. Access to Main Engineering is henceforth restricted to appropriate Starfleet personnel. To ensure this takes place, Security detachment commander is instructed to post armed detail outside Main Engineering with instructions to restrict non-authorized personnel from entrance.
6. Security detachment personnel are expected to be "under arms" while on duty. Commanding Officer leaves specifics to security detachment commander's discretion. Related: security detachment commander and chief engineer are to coordinate to ensure that arms lockers are placed in critical areas. We are not going to be caught with our pants down again.
7. All landing parties, unless specifically noted by commanding officer, are expected to assemble with appropriate protective gear according to specifics of operation. We are not going to lose more personnel because they didn't have the right gear and weren't able to shoot back. Space is dangerous, people. Stop trying to pretend otherwise.
8. Excursion jackets are to be considered the uniform of the day unless otherwise noted. Yes, this means you're going to be wearing them while on duty. Get used to it.
Some of this is to address some issues I've had with the combat itself (That ship should have been bigger) and some of the technical stuff I've found (Most of the weapons on the Miranda are fixed either for or aft.)
OLD STATS (ARCHIVE ONLY) USS Verdant (NCC-9847) Miranda Class Size: 12 Acceleration: 40 Climb: 1 Top Speed: 500 Toughness: 32(9) Crew: 38 Mods: Armor FTL Drive Hanger Sensor Suite, Galactic Shields (120 pts dmg) Torpedo Tubes x2 Teleporter Targeting System Standard Weapons: Missiles/Torpedos, Torpedo, Light x28 (AP 50, 5d12) Linked Weapons: Lasers, Heavy x2 - +1 to hit, 4d10+2 dmg, AP 15 Lasers, Heavy x2 Dimensions: Length, 277.76 meters; beam, 173.98 meters; height: 65.23 meters. Mass: 655,000 metric tons. Performance: Warp 9 for 12 hours.
The USS Verdant lacks the "roll bar" common to other ships of this class.
Last Edit: Jan 16, 2015 16:29:28 GMT -6 by Rigil Kent